Monday, January 28, 2008

State of the Union.

  • “Members of Congress should know: If any bill raising taxes reaches my desk, I will veto it,” he promised.
That statement may be the best words I have ever heard come out of George Bush's mouth. I would love to not have any taxes raised as would the rest of the American population.
  • “Americans can be confident about our economic growth,” Bush said. “But in the short run, we can all see that growth is slowing.”
Growth is slowing. He seemed to be right on track with the address to the people for the first time in his 8 years in office I have heard honesty come from this mans mouth. I am in complete and utter shock to be honest. The housing market is down, jobs are becoming scarce, and poverty is growing.
  • Proposed a $300 million expansion of his No Child Left Behind education program to provide more options — mainly in “faith-based” and other parochial schools — for inner-city public school students.
Even though I agree with his "no child left behind" reform program I don't think he should say it mainly will focus on "faith-based" schools. The students already have to pay for the education for private school and they should not get government funding since they are "private schools".
  • Called for reducing or eliminating about 150 federal programs that he deems wasteful to save money.
Which 150 federal programs does he deem wasteful? Knowing how Bush looks at politics it will probably end up being something we really need and would not be a wasteful.

  • “Our objective in the coming year is to sustain and build on the gains we made in 2007, while transitioning to the next phase of our strategy,” the president said. “American troops are shifting from leading operations to partnering with Iraqi forces and, eventually, to a protective overwatch mission.”
What gains were actually made in 2007? Honestly a friend of mine and Dan's just went to Iraq on January 3rd. His wife is due with their first child around February 11th and he will miss it. If we maid such great gains why would soldiers be going back for a second time? Why are so many lives being lost on a war that should have never started in the first place? If we eventually want to have an overwatch mission would that not make our stay in Iraq longer rather than shorter.

I will leave this at those statements and my thoughts. I would love to see either Obama or Edwards win this white house this upcoming year.

No comments: